Saturday, November 1, 2008

ode to chaos

Eric in his flannels and I in nightgown
had just settled in after a night on the town.
When at the front door arose such a clatter
I jumped to my feet to see what was the matter.
I put on a robe and pulled back the shade
turned on the light and out the window gazed.
and what to my wondering eyes should appear?
but a big brown dog who shouldn't be here.
My dog starts to bark and the other joins in
they tell us quite loudly this isn't their friend.
They bark and bark no end in sight
I can tell right away it will be a long night.
We used to call for his family to get him
but when they dont come he just wants to come in.
He was quite a nice boy but boy his manners, they stunk
as did his fur since his run in with skunk.
So we turned out the light and went back to bed
listening to the barking filling our head.
We knew come morning he would be gone
but he will be back, he's never gone long.
Why don't we keep him? He thinks he lives here.
but we have two dogs already and they just won't share.
so we drift off to dream and think well, that's that
but we always know, he will be back.
Another day or another night
when its dark or when its light
he will be back for a visit or two
in winter summer spring and fall too.
That's the story of Chaos, not so hard to tell
It's really quite easy, we know it so well.

No comments: