Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Polio

we are watching something on pbs about polio. what an incredible time that must have been. similar I bet to how things were with leprosy. So scary to know your loved one was so sick. not knowing what would happen. would they get better? how bad would it be? would they die? A lot of times you will hear me say how I wish we could return to a simpler time but there are some things I do not want to return to. I vaccinated my kids. there are those who choose not to but I prefer knowing that MY kid is NOT going to get one of the dreaded diseases of the past. they will NOT face a future in an iron lung or banished from their neighborhood. i am happy to know that. I have seen the damage done. Don't want to go there again. I have a hard time understanding people who choose not to vaccinate. their fear of the vaaccines puts the kids at risk of so much more. I know some people believe that vaccines are linked to autism and all sorts of other things. but in my eyes I would rather risk these than risk polio or whooping cough measles or other diseases of the past.

No comments: