Sunday, March 2, 2008

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose

may an elephant caress you with his toes. May your wife be plagued with runners in her hose. May the bird of paradise fly up your nose.

seems the story of my life. I have 4 kids at home. 2 dogs. a cat. The bird of paradise has indeed flown up my nose on many occasion. I don't wear hose but if I did they wouldn't last 30 seconds around here. One of the dogs would jump, a child would snag as they climb in my lap, a pointy toy would be stepped on. and my hose would have runners.

I do adore my 4 little monsters though. THey are not angels but they are MINE!! and I love them fiercely. We are a blended family. Husband has two children from previous marriage. I brought two children to the marriage, and together we created one and adopted one. I think one more would be perfect. My husband doesn't agree. He is concerned with the expenses. Which leads me to the question, why is adoption so darn expensive? If a child has no home, and a home wants a child why should it be so all fired difficult and expensive to make it happen? I understand making sure everyone is safe. that makes sense. preparing adoptive parents makes sense too. but where do the tens of thousands of dollars involved in adoption go? It seems to me adoption is a pretty lucrative business. how does my 30-40,000 dollars help the children left behind? If everyone adopting is paying these fees, why are the children still living in orphanages that can barely get by? For example, my 10,000 usd "country fee" translates to 240,150 roubles. if a hundred usd buys a boatload of laundry soap, 240,000 roubles ought to be able to buy a lot of food and heat for the kids left behind. So if 3700 kids were adopted last year roughly 888,555,000 roubles were paid to the country. Over 800 million roubles ought to be enough to feed, heat, and provide support for a whole lotta kids! Yet some orphanages struggle to pay for heat, the kids dress in rags, and dont eat enough healthy foods. How is this possible? where did the 800 million go?

No comments: