Sunday, March 2, 2008

Homeschool 101

or Why I homeschool.

I really enjoy having my kids at home. They are good kids. They amuse me. The are helpful. Most of all the ENJOY homeschool. Given the option they choose NOT to go back to public schools. Some of the reasons I think homeschooling is super are: I KNOW their friends and who they hang with, I know where they are and who they are with ALWAYS, I get to guide their values to what is more in line with my own values rather than let the school decide what my kids should and shouldn't do in life. I can repeat a lesson over and over and over until the child gets it. Schools don't have time or staff for that. My kids work at their own level and their own way, not a level defined by a governmental body that has no clue how my kid as an individual learns. We can do fun things and field trips while everyone else is sitting in class. Generally museums are deserted on a weekday. There is a lot learned in homeschool that is not learned in public school. They have an understanding of how a household runs, they do not believe the underwear fairy washes, folds, and puts away their clothes. They get home ec every day, not just one semester of one year. They get to interact with people of all ages in all kinds of situations. They don't have to stand in line to use the rest room(at least not most of the time !) They learn to listen to their bodies, they eat when they are hungry, sleep when they are tired, bathroom when they need to, not when someone else tells them to. Oh I could go on all day about why I love homeschool.

Don't even get me started on "homeschoolers don't get socialization!" My homeschoolers are incredibly social. They socialize all the time! At homeschool group, scouts, 4H, community events, library, church, with cousins, siblings, friends and neighbors. Just because they don't sit in a classroom with 25 other kids the same age doesn't mean they are hid away in a closet. They make their own bank transactions, attend music lessons and have recitals, they help with errands, they can write a check, host guests, attend community events. They have PLENTY of social time. Probably moreso than their public school counterparts because they GO so many more places.

Hooked on homeschool works for us!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Just stopping by to say Hi!! and check out your new blog

~CarolynA said...

Me too! Stopping by to say Hi and I love it! Homeschools...where children can be exactly who they are and not feel like they need to prove themselves at every turn.

Free to be...just be...

MoonDog said...

Family Avaire you need to make your own blogspot! I KNOW you have lots to say!

~CarolynA said...

Working on it...right now! Notice name change. I have time to pass before the family gets together for my Gramma.

~CarolynA said...

Oh ya, and then I will get my blah, blah, blahs out on my own space and time!

~CarolynA said...

Moondog,
News today...http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20080310/ts_csm/ahomeschool

Wow!

MoonDog said...

Scary! Our rights are being slowly taken away a little at a time. I have been saying this for years. Gov Ahnold says he wants it overturned and hopefully they will do that. and hopefully MN stays progressive and doesnt jump on any bandwagons!