Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I added another facet to this

This is my opinion blog. I added a home school blog as well. Hopefully I can use it to keep track of what we do around here.

so lets see....any burning opinions today? how about why does everyone want to drop their kid into an activity and then sit back and have a hands off approach while letting someone else do all the work? Does it occur to them that the people who DO step up and run this stuff have lives and stress and business as well? but still they run the program for YOUR kids so YOU can do nothing. what if everyone did nothing? what if we all sat back and no one put a program out there? then what would they do? they would have to sit at home with their OWN kids and parent them. Heavens! cant have that! I am tired. I am tired of being the only parent who steps up to the plate. I have two girl scout troops. I coach soccer now. I even took on making a curriculum for preschoolers at church. (I gave that one up though)I am a 4H parent. Where are the parents of these other kids? there are 6 girls in one of my troops, and ONE mom regularly comes to the meetings and sits there doing nothing. the rest don't bother to help out in any way except to bring snack once a year. The other troop has 7 girls. One other mom is my co leader. the other moms? nonexistent. nothing. Nada. snack once a year is the biggest commitment they can make to their children. If it takes a village to raise a child, that's because the parents don't raise them leaving the village to take over because SOMEONE has to raise the kids. they don't raise themselves. In your average family the kids go to school 8 hours a day where someone else looks after them, to sports or scouts or the library after school where someone else looks after them. then its dinner and bed. or dinner and more clubs/sports. why then are we the home school parents the weirdos when we choose to actually RAISE our children ourselves? we spend time with our kids getting to know them, teaching them, watching them grow. we aren't sending them out into the world for schools and other programs to parent them, teach them, watch them grow. If our kids are involved in something WE are involved in it. Like I said, children won't raise themselves. It's me or society that helps to dictate who they will become. I have seen the kids who have been shaped by school and no parents. I want better for my kids. I will be their parent, mentor, guide, teacher, and everything else. It is the most important job I will ever have. I have to put my all into it. I can't afford to fail.

5 comments:

~CarolynA said...

Moondog,

You know how Bible verses are taken out of context and applied to whatever seems to fit, whenever.

The old proverb..It takes a village comes to mind as one of those taken out of context.

I need a T-shirt. Maybe I could find one online, that says.. "THIS IS NOT A VILLAGE PEOPLE!!!!!"

Today we live in a segmented fragmented, society. Parents or mothers in VILLAGES were WITH their children doing what needed to be done. They did not drop them off somewhere for 10 hours to go somewhere else to do something for someone else.

The elders and the toddlers were WITH the moms and the moms and all were TOGETHER.

And this is the reason why, Moondog, you are left to carry the load!

I know you know this I am just venting myself because I get so irked by people that want me to feel guilty because I choose to put my children first.

I will not sacrifice them for money for status for anything. I have so little time to serve them and I am going to do it and do it right.

So I've put my eight hours in and now I am going to go home to my children and if you want to stay late and guilt me or sacrifice your children that is your choice. If you want to fall on that old standby.."we do what we gotta do" in order to justify sacrificing your children...I'm sorry for you and your children. Because I won't do it. And if you believe the universe will support those that CHOOSE to put their children first then the universe will provide and it will be amazing the blessings that come through for you and your children. But first you have to believe and give up the old standby.

Maybe our problems will seize when we get our priorities straight and put the children first.

Why have them if you aren't? While I'm at it I'll tell ya what really irks me. Married couples that orchestrate their lovely families and intentionally put their newborn babies, 6 weeks old, in daycare so that they can be sure that their lifestyles will not suffer.

I saw so many women doing this when I worked in the cities. Business women wearing their high heels and nylons all the way up to the birth. Who knows maybe they even wore them to the birth.

Moondog, I just needed to vent! Thanks for starting it off..

Rae

~CarolynA said...

PS
As if the last post wasn't long enough!

I was wondering how many of the moms you refer to are working FT.

One of the reasons I don't sign my kids up for more things is because when I get home from work, used to be school, the last thing I want to do is drive somewhere else and plan another thing.

I know I can't be available to a group like you want the moms in your groups to be. So I don't join.

The working poor that need to work and do what they have to do to survive almost leads one to think that only the rich can justify having kids! After all they are the only ones that can provide all those activities that make a kid so well rounded and almost perfect.

So can a poor person justify having children, bringing them into the world? Good God they might not have all those things. The kids might never see their parents or get homework help. Their parents are so busy and wiped out or self medicated from trying to survive they can't go to conferences for school, join groups, etc.

Oh what a conundrum...people in villages, the kind that we love to reference with the great quote, were not "rich".

The only thing good about this proverb resurfacing and being tossed about is the gist. But how can we truly grasp or make real what the gist is all about in our current societal situation?

Only an idiot would disagree with the gist that obviously it takes a community of people to raise a child or support a community, Duh!

MoonDog said...

I dont get putting your new baby in day care either. I cant imagine missing those moments! you can create your own shirts you know at cafepress. I am SO FRUSTRATED! I am tired of giving and giving and giving to a community that takes and takes and takes. and couldnt give a shit about taking without giving. If you gotta work to pay the bills, I guess you gotta work. but like you said if you have kids, you gotta put them at the top. you cant be married to your job. You gotta be married to creating a future for your kids.

I appreciate that you dont join because you cant be a part of it. I would just like to see SOMETHING in the way of parent involvement. This drop them off at the door and then dont come back till half hour after pick up time(which means I have to stay there till the mom arrives) is the pitts. I am not a babysitter and I do not get paid. I am a volunteer! Thank god half my stuff is about over for the year. I need a break from raising everyone elses kids!

~CarolynA said...

Moondog you will be rewarded!

I know we have talked about this before...You like to do things yourself don't like to ask for help and I think people/you need to be more direct about their/your needs in order to get the help or involvement they/you would like.

Every mom needs a break and will look for a place that they can safely leave their kid for a short time.

On the bright side I would take it as a compliment that the moms see you as leader of a safe place.


Not much has changed I guess cuz it was the same for the 6+ years in my Girl Scout troop 1044.

My mom was asst troop leader so she was there every week. But in 6 years I'd say we saw half of the moms.

MoonDog said...

yes I could ask for help but my point is that no one bothers. when there are close to 50 parents sitting on the sidelines while TWO try to keep up with 30!! little kids you start to think....why dont they care? I admit I sat on the sidelines at first. But then I had another child to look after. then when she joined the team I said I am here, both my kids are involved, I have to COME here I might as well DO something while I am here. why doesnt anyone ELSE DO anything? I think I am getting burned out doing so much for everyone. and knowing that even after I do so much, I am still mostly unknown.